Sunday, May 17, 2009

Update on Luogon

Here is a link to a blog post that Karen Barkman from Provision of Hope did about Luogon and the boys that he is living with. Please check is out and share it with as many people as you can.


http://www.provisionofhope.com/blog/?p=256


As of now our fundraising total for Luogon is $313.50! I am so excited that we are so close to the goal of $400! I have a new goal though. I want to raise another $300 so that Luogon can pay for a year of rent. This would be for a room that would be big enough for another two boys to live in. After that of course I'll want to raise some more for food... But baby steps people :)

I just realized something the other day. I have never touched, smelled, or felt poverty. It isn't real to me. I am probably too fortunate for my own good. In my day to day life, what Luogon and so many others are facing, it just isn't real to me. God has been opening my heart to it though. I'm starting to realize.... someone's life is on the line. In our culture if someone is going to have a baby and they don't have much for that baby, what do we do, we dig through our old baby clothes, some buy things, some make things. We make sure that baby has WAY more than it needs. We have food banks and welfare.

Luogon has had no parents since he was 5. Imagine your children/siblings when they were five. Now imagine them alone. On their own, no one to hug them, or wipe away their tears. Lost and without our love. Now imagine that they have no food. And they grow up this way. They are in a home with two adults... now imagine that soldiers come, the round all of the children up, the point guns at your children and yell at them... your precious five year old child. They take other children, put guns in their hands and teach them to kill.

What would you do to free your child from that? I would give my life.

These boys are grown now.

They grew up without the love and touch of a mother.

They were not afraid of monsters or shadows. They feared gun shots and starvation.

I used to judge people who would plead for money for "starving children".

Now I am one.

I used to think that they were just trying to guilt your money out of you.

Now I know.

Someone has to help these kids. And according to God, WE are those someones. Ask God today what you can do to help. He doesn't say "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress if you feel that you can spare some extra change right now, or if you have some free time."

I'm pretty sure he didn't forget that part :)

Be creative, this doesn't have to look the same for all of us. Please, ask God now, what he wants you to do.

Thank you.

No comments: