Monday, August 20, 2007

Today's Menu

OKay so the cobbler wasn't all that great. Starla liked it but I won't make it again. The banana bread was good and so was
the french bread. The roast turned out good accept that the potatoes were far too overdone, next time I'll hold of an extra
half an hour before I add the potatoes, but the carrots were just right. Because the potatoes were falling apart I picked
out all the onions and all the garlic, accept for one clove, added a big glob of butter and mashed them. They were great, if
you like garlic. Dalen just had a potato cooked in the microwave, you can do that by the way, I didn't know you could bake
potatoes in the microwave until I saw my MIL do it.
The soup was really good.. still is ;) I ended up adding a pound of ground hamburger, I didn't have enough energy to do a
shepperd's pie and the hamburger needed to be cooked. I really liked it. Starla said it's a lot like a soup her mom makes
called SOB (south of the border) soup. I'll probably just keep calling it Tomato Barley soup, but I figured there would be
some of you out there that would prefer the first name ;)
For tonight? Well it's meatloaf night but I forgot to thaw my hamburger, so Dalen will have a premade hamburger patty with a
(microwave)baked potato and some corn. I really do like being married to a man with a simple pallet. For the rest of us I
think I'll heat up the rest of the garlic mashed potatoes from Saturday, then I'm going to make a breaded oven baked salmon.
I can't find a recipe that I like for the salmon so my plan is to mix some Terriyaki...


Terriyaki sauce/merinade (I use this to bake chicken in or for fish, you could merrinade meat for kabobs in it too, or steak)
- Jane's recipe

1 part soysauce

2 parts Brown sugar

a clove or so of garlic (6 if you're Joni)

1/4 tspn ginger powder

very liberal dash of pepper


So I'm going to merinade the fish in that and then bread it with some Panko, which is an Asian bread crumb (my uncle gave me
a tonne of very ethnic ingredients when he moved, I don't usually buy stuff like that)
I'm trying to think which spices would go good in the panko, but I'm not good at matching spices.I'm going to have this with broccoli and make a caesar salad. I think I'm going to make some croutons with the ends from the
french bread too. I love making my own croutons because they don't have to be so dry, you can actually get your fork through
them!
I'll butter both sides of the bread and put it on a baking pan under a broiler until it's nicely browned, then flip it over
and brown the other side. I probably won't brown them too much, unless I get busy and forget about them. Then I'll take them
out and cut them into cubes or something like that quickly, then while they're still warm I'll put them in a bag with
seasoning. I think for seasoning I'll keep it simple, just some seasoning and freshly grated parmesean. Maybe some extra
garlic salt. - I ended up putting the parmesean and spices on top of the croutons and putting it back in the oven for a
minute and a half. They are really nummy! I also used some paprika, basil and oregano, oh and my favorite spice, lemon
pepper.
Some days I feel sorry for Dalen that he doesn't enjoy food. And the best part of all this food is that it's healthy, well
the potatoes aren't great, but I don't have any brown rice. Maybe next groceries, I'll try to keep my potato portion small.
I just got off the phone with Tom and he's going to give us a piece of hallibut. I think that I would love to go ocean
fishing. I know I'd be terrified, because I can't really swim but I would get over that eventually and the chance of getting
something would make it all worth while. Maybe in a few years I can hitch a ride with someone. I doubt many people will be
going much more this year and next year I'll have a little baby on me.
Oh well. One day, maybe. Thanks for the fish Tom!!!
Now I know that most people get super excited to have deep fried battered fish but last year at a fondue party I tried it in
a broth fondue and it was incredible, so I think I'll poach the fish in chicken broth.. mmmm... nice and good, nice and
healthy!



Okay so not so healthy broccoli recipe I'm going to try
Aunt Millie's Broccoli Casserole
INGREDIENTS
4 heads fresh broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups crushed, seasoned croutons
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook broccoli in the boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, and set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, mix the cheese, cream of mushroom soup, salt, and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the broccoli, stirring to coat. Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish.
In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Mix in the croutons, and sprinkle over the broccoli mixture.
Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the topping is browned and broccoli is tender.


Anyway Off I go. let me know what you're making for dinner

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Found your blog somehow and it is cool to see how good you are doing. Congrats on baby #4. I am making a black bean chili (super healthy and still good) over rice with fresh cilantro. Chad will eat it smothered in cheese and some sour cream. Hope that life is going well. I think that I am coming to Terrace in November for a week or two. I will let you know as I would love to get together.