Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cookies

Okay so last night I made cookies for our camping trip. These are the three recipes and I chose. They all had rave reviews on Allrecipes.com and I'm really happy with them. They were all simple recipes and didn't require any weird prep or ingredients.. I would recommend all of them.

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
DIRECTIONS
Cream together butter, peanut butter and sugars. Beat in eggs.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter. Put batter in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Roll into 1 inch balls and put on baking sheets. Flatten each ball with a fork, making a criss-cross pattern. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown. Do not over-bake.

These are my favorite. They are really scrumptous! They were a little too sweet so next time I think I'd do 3/4 cups of each of the sugars, then adjust the flour accordingly. I also forgot to put the eggs in until everything was already mixed but they're still really good.

Big Soft Ginger Cookies
INGREDIENTS
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Yet another great cookie! Again a little too sweet so I'd do the same as the peanut butter cookies and take the sugar down a 1/4 cup or so. I added a cup of raisins as well. I really love spice cookies with raisins.

Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie
INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

OKay so these are good cookies. I used margarine instead of butter so they ended up a little cake like instead of chewy. I think it was because of the margarine. Butter usually makes things melty in your mouth. These are also Gigantic. Way too big for a normal kid, Dalen couldn't even eat two of them and he was up until 11:30 waiting for them. With the last batch I put in the oven I flattened them down a bit and they looked nicer when I took them out. I'mm gonna taste one now because I didn't eat any last night, me and chocolate don't sit too well. Okay so they are good, but they're deffinately cakey, which I don't really like all that much in a chocolate chip cookie. I like them to be soft in the middle and chrispy on the edges and kinda melt in your mouthish. So while they are good enough, I will keep searching for a chocolate chip cookies recipe that suits my cookie needs ;)

Now I have a large list of things to do and all I really want to do is curl up on my recliner and sleep. So hopefully I'll get some energy happening soon. Time remaining until camping? 28 hours.

No comments: