Monday, January 14, 2008

Cloth Diapers


Okay so I just got my diaper covers for when Buster is born. I have never bought anything new for diapering. I've either made it or gotten it second hand, oh maybe I've bought a Kushies diaper cover or two. But let me tell you. These diaper covers are worth the money, and if all I spend to diaper this little guy is the $80.00 these cost (plus the cost of laundering, which is barely measurable), I think I'm doing pretty good


.
So I bought the covers above from Baby Cotton Bottoms. The orange one is called Melon. The picture makes it look like a fun orange color but when you get it, the orange is more neon. The color should be called Visivest! None the less these are amazing covers! The other thing that I love about them, that I will have to copy is that the velcro tabs are double sided. So that you can overlap them, which is so important on a new born.
Anyway so I'm very happy with the service from Baby Cotton Bottoms. They also included a little pamflet on cloth diapering, the benifits, different kinds of diapers, cost differences, all that jazz. There was something in it though that I just really needed to share that I think is really important for people to know.
I know that there are a lot of people who are just grossed out by the whole cloth diaper thing and the extra work that it is. I have my own personal reasons for choosing to use cloth and I'd be happy to share if there is anyone out there who would like to know, but I think that this information should be shared with those who have babies.
From Baby Cotton Bottoms cloth diaper pamflet "The disposable diapers available at your loval grocers contain sodium polyacrylate which absorbs liquid and turns it into gel. Sodium polyacrylate is commonly liked to allergic reaxtions, skin irritations, and possible reproductive organ dysfunction. It was banned from use in tampons in 1985 after it was linked to toxic shock syndrome and caused hemorrage, cardiovascular failure and death in rats who were injected with the gel.
In addition, the dangerous chemical dioxin is reported byu the EPT as the most toxic of all cancer-linked chemicals, and is a byproduct of the paper bleaching that is used in disposable diapers. Whitening through the use of dioxin has been banned in most countries... but not in the U.S." (I'm not totally sure about Canada, but of course I have my suspicions)
Anyway you can take what you want from it. I think that it's a pretty important piece of information personally. As always, if there is someone out there who wants to do cloth but is strapped financially and a little overwhelmed by the start up cost. I would love to help you plan and make your diapers. There are a lot of things that you can do to save on the costs of cloth diapering. Let me know if you're interested!

No comments: